184.108.40.206. Copying a product
It is possible to create a copy of a product (within the same Docmenta installation). To do this, an emty product has to be created first, which will then be used as destination for the copy operation. After the destination product has been created, the content of the source product can be copied into the created destination product.
The copy operation can be used to change the storage type. For example, this allows a product documentation to be transferred from the filesystem to a database, or from one database to another database.
As the copy operation can take several minutes up to hours (depending on the amount of product versions and number of nodes within each version to be copied), the source and destination product should both be disabled during the copy operation. Otherwise the content of the source and/or target product might be changed by users which would lead to verification errors and an undefined copy-state.
Perform following steps to create a copy of a product:
- Select the "Products" tab in the "Administration" workspace.
- Create destination product:
Click the "Create new product" button to create a new (empty) product (at the end this product shall contain the copied product documentation). Fill the fields as described in Section 220.127.116.11, “Creating a new product”, i.e.:
- Enter a product-ID for the copy to be created. Note that it is not possible to create a copy with the same product-ID as any existing product (therefore, e.g. use the same product-ID as the product to be copied but add the suffix "_copy").
- Enter the product-Name. For example, enter the same name as defined in the product to be copied.
- Select the storage type of the product. The storage type of the copy can be different to the storage type of the source product (for example, this allows a product documentation to be transferred from the filesystem to a database, or from one database to another database).
- If database storage has been select, decide whether the exported publications shall be stored in the database or as plain files in the filesystem (see Section 18.104.22.168, “Storage types” for more information).
- Add the same languages that exist in the product to be copied (though, if not all languages shall be copied, then only add the languages to be copied).
- Set the original language of the product. Normally, the original language of the copy should be set to the same language that is defined as original language in the source product. However, it is possible to switch the original language, i.e. it is possible to set the original of the copy to a language that is defined as translation language in the source product.
- Finally, click "Okay" to create the new product and to close the dialog. The newly created product will be listed in the product list.
- Disable products:
To prevent updates to the source or destination product during the copy operation, both products should be disabled before the copy operation is started.
Therefore, click the "Show connected users" button to assure that no more users are connected to the source or destination product. If users are connected, ask the users to disconnect from the products (however, it is no problem if users which have only view-rights are still connected to the source product). If no more users are connected, select both products and click "Disable" (see Section 22.214.171.124, “Disabling and enabling products” for more information on disabling products).
- Start copy operation:
Select the product to be copied and click the "Copy" button :
Figure 2.7.18. Selecting the source product
This opens following dialog. By default, the selected product is set as source product :
Figure 2.7.19. Copy product dialog
- Select the previously created product in the "Copy To" list .
- Select the versions to be copied . By default, all versions are selected.
- Select the languages to be copied . By default, all languages are selected.
- Check whether exported publications in the source product shall be copied to the target product .
- Check whether content revisions (see Section 126.96.36.199, “Revision history”) shall be copied to the target product .
- Finally, click the "Start" button . Confirm the warning message that all versions in the target product will be overwritten to start the copy operation.
The copy operation can take several minutes up to hours, depending on the amount of data to be copied. As long as the copy operation is running, a progress bar and a progress message is displayed for the destination product, showing the current state of the copy operation:
Figure 2.7.20. Copy operation progress
The copy operation can be cancelled by clicking the "Cancel" button . After the copy operation has completed, a "Log" button is displayed. To view the log messages, click the "Log" button. If no errors occured, the final message "Copy operation successfully finished" is shown. To permanently delete the log messages, click the button.
After completion of the copy operation, the products (source and destination) can be enabled again.